Today was fun. Very kick back. We got up, did breakfast, and headed out to the end of line 1 of the metro to Chateau de Vincennes. It was really fun, and quite big. It was Charles V's castle back in (if I'm remembering correctly) the mid 1300s. His son, Charles VI, also lived there an improved it. It was huge (it was has 1100 meters of wall around it) with a moat around it. There is a nice, cool cathedral there, a neat keep with its own walls and moat, and lots of cool little rooms, etc. Louis the XII (I think) and Louis the XIV (I'm pretty sure) lived there as well, but expanded the living quarters far beyond the existing keep to include more Versailles/Louvre looking and feeling buildings*. Overall, it was fun because it was huge and impressive, but also far less busy than many, or I should say all, of the other places we visited. The kids could run around and yell and not disturb anyone!
*I'm sure there's a much more formal name for that style of building, but it's far beyond my limited knowledge of history and architecture.
After visiting the chateau, we stopped for lunch at an Italian place just outside the gates. It was really tasty food, but slightly confusing to order because the menu was in Italian, with French also in there.
We headed home to relax a bit, swam some, had a bit earlier dinner, and got the kids to bed at a somewhat decent time!
No comments:
Post a Comment