Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cold?

As in "burrrrr", not "achooo".

It's been pretty cold the last four or five nights. Down into the fifties. It is 10:21 am as I write this and, granted the windows are open, I'm cold sitting here in my shorts and t-shirt with sweatshirt over the top and slippers on. Weather.com says it's 76, but with the wind, it's definitely chillier than that! I'm not sure when the weather starts to get colder around here, but we've definitely seen the days start to cool off. There are no more high 80s with humidity days ... at least there really haven't been for the last several weeks. It has actually been very pleasant . I think we've only run our air conditioner* two or three days out of the last three weeks.

*Bad news on the AC front. We actually discovered this when Lee was here ... actually he discovered it ... but the pan that sits under our coolant coils is leaking. We're going around and around with Peck and Weiss, with whom we have our AC and heater coverage plan, about how to deal with it. It looks like it could be as little as $100 or so dollars (replace the pan) up to $2800 (replace the AC)! The problem is two fold. First, the coils/pan were installed right on top of the heater cavity where the flames and heat and everything is. Over time, this melted the plastic condenser pan under the coils causing the leak. The complication is that the AC is old enough ... 1994 ... that the manufacturer is not going to support parts for it after 2010. Peck and Weiss is looking to see if they can find just a pan to replace that, which would be our ideal situation!

So Cyndie and the kids are at MOPS this morning and I'm pounding out the code. The excitement for last night was a trip to the library and then to Culver's for ice cream. This all came as part of playing school ... which Emma has really been excited about lately. The trip was a "field trip" and I (the teacher) even made her have a signed permission slip to go!

That's it for now.

No comments: