Thursday, August 21, 2008

Construction ... continued

So yesterday was a pretty standard day ... I guess, like I mentioned yesterday, we're moving into a routine in preparation for school. In the early afternoon, Cyndie took the kids to the library to see a magician. They really enjoyed that and came home with lots of interesting descriptions of what the show entailed. For an hour or so while they were gone, I used the Suburban (the tractor didn't weigh enough to keep traction) to pull bushes out by the roots. It worked pretty well! The main purpose was to get rid of bushes that will be blocking the doors that we'll install, but also some were done in preparation for getting rid of some of the "planters"* that we'll do next spring. Cyndie had sailing in the evening so the kids and I had roast that Cyndie had made in the crock pot and then worked on hanging the hammock out in the yard and played some cornhole before the team came over for worship practice.

*The so called planters are a combination of rock and bark beds that are not grass, but really not flowers either. There are over-grown/scraggly bushes in most of them. Really they're mostly a pain in the behind since they get full of weeds and there are so many of them. The plan for this fall is to prepare them (remove bushes, rock/bark, weed barrier) for putting grass in in the spring. We'll probably do this every where (around the whole house) except for between the boardwalk and the house and a small spot to the left and right of the front door. The line of thinking is that doing weed and feed and mowing with the lawn tractor is much easier than trying to weed all these beds, and it just plain looks nicer!

Emma is gearing up for school. We'll probably go shopping for a first day outfit in the next day or so. I'll do the same with Timmy too. I guess I'm the designated shopper for the family!

No comments: