Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A settled house means ... construction!

So, it's that time of year. Visits from friends have come and gone. Summer is winding to an end. Backpacks are being pulled out of storage and school supplies are materializing. Life is close to returning to the normal routine of the school year. What does that mean for the Wildwood DeVries? Construction!

Last night after an early evening of "Family Movie Night"*, Cyndie and I moved the furniture in the dining room and took the lovely knotty pine paneling off the wall. We now have a dining room of insulation! It actually went pretty quickly, which we were very happy about. The other nice thing was that I found that the socket that I'll have to move in order to put in the french doors is at the end of a circuit, so I'll just have to shorten the wiring rather than move it ... saving a lot of work. Next up in the process of getting the doors in ... taking out a bunch of bushes on the outside of the house, then removing the siding. We're going to pay a friend who is a contractor to actually install the door, but he suggested that we remove the siding as it will mean less time for his guy on site, and therefore a smaller bill which we're all for!

*So we watched Jonah, A VeggieTales Movie. It was kind of "Eh". There were a few nice one-liners, and a couple of the songs/dance routines were good, but all in all I can see why it did so poorly in the theaters. I'd give it a 2.4/5.

Movies I've seen this year (in the theater/a few video):

Iron Man - 4.2/5
Wall-E - 4.0/5
The Dark Knight - 3.9/5
Kung Fu Panda - 3.5/5
Horton Hears a Who - 3.0/5
Jonah, a VeggieTales Movie - 2.4/5
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 1.9/5

1 comment:

Jane D. said...

Sounds like exciting construction! Have fun with your latest adventure...