Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dark Knight

So I saw The Dark Knight on Saturday evening with the usual moving going gang (Ryan Hyphen, Dave Hinz, Eric Anderson ... guys from church). It was a fun event. That gang is a good one to go see a show with since we're all movie buffs to one degree or another who are roughly the same age, so we have similar backgrounds when it comes to what we grew up with.

So the movie ... I'd give it 3.9 out of 5. It was a very good movie, top notch special effects, but there was just nothing that made me go "wow". I felt like it was a bit too long (I think around a 2:30 run time) for the amount of story that it had to tell. Heath Ledger was good as the Joker, but got a bit annoying after a while as his whole schtick was the same, never changing (which, in truth, was probably true character). I think in the end, it was a combination of my anticipation for the movie (and it not living up to that anticipation), and just a general lack of originality (or that "wow" factor I mentioned before). Nonetheless, I'd still recommend seeing it!

On the way out of the theater, we saw 6 or 7 people dressed up like Batman characters ... I guess freaks like that are not limited to just SoCal!

Movies I've seen this year:
Iron Man - 4.2/5
The Dark Knight - 3.9/5
Kung Fu Panda - 3.5/5
Horton Hears a Who - 3.0/5
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 1.9/5

1 comment:

Gow_spot said...

Here is what I would like to know:

1.) What is your criteria for your movie rankings?

2.) Why in the world are you using a scale of 1-5?

3.) How in the world are you getting point-nines and point-fours???...must be some detailed test that you run all your movies through, eh?

Entertaining critiques nonetheless.