Tuesday, October 26, 2010

80 degrees and headed to 89!

Yes, another beautiful day in southwest Florida. The day started with a jog for Cyndie and I. We went out at around 7:30a. I was expecting it to be cool and nice, but it was already pretty warm and very humid. I'm very glad there was a nice breeze or it would have been much worse for me! I was surprised to see, as I jogged around a golf course near Fred and Cathy's house, that so many lots were vacant. I assumed that this meant that the developer had hit a rough spot of some kind when building the golf course/development, but Cathy told me that that was the result of hurricane Charlie (which was 5 or so years ago). Apparently lots of homes were damaged so much, that they could not be repaired, and insurance, in many cases, didn't cover rebuilding. Crazy. She said that much of the damage was not just from the hurricane itself, but from mold and moisture damage after the fact. There was no power for 3 or 4 weeks, and those homeowners who were not physically present could often not get to their homes to clean up water, etc. leading to the mold and water damage.

Yesterday we headed back from a wonderful couple of days on Sanibel back up to Punta Gorda. We stopped along the way at Grandma Weaver's for dinner. She lives in a retirement community and has a very nice 2 bedroom (plus study), 2 bath apartment. We had dinner at a private dining room off the main restaurant there. It was very nice, and nice to be able to hang out a bit with Grandma Weaver. She's such a pleasant lady, very fun to be with.

This morning the kids are practicing trick or treating. They have on their Halloween costumes, supplemented by some jewelery and accessories that Grandma Cathy supplied, and are going from frog to frog (Cathy has 2 or 3 decorative frog "statues" that have little trays on which she has individually wrapped candies) trick or treating. Hilarious. Grandpa Fred is working this morning, as am I ... Grandma Cathy, Cyndie, and the kids are headed out soon for some activity or another.

Another beautiful day in Florida!

No comments: