Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Deep Fried French Toast Pancakes

Yes, it's been a while, but today marks the return of Neal's recipes. I'd thought of this idea before, but, today being spring break and all, I figured "why do a 'normal' breakfast, let's go all out". So, I took on Deep Fried French Toast Pancakes. Now, basically anything deep fried is going to be good ... we'll start with that premise. And it is true. The goods were delivered! Deep Fried French Toast Pancakes are the bomb!

Deep Fried French Toast Pancakes
Ingredients:
Bread - can be "normal" bread or could be something fun like cinnamon swirl bread
Powdered Pancake mix - I like Krusteez
Sugar
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Vegetable Oil - or whatever you like to deep fry with!
Syrup

Get the oil hot. I found it worked best at around 350 or 375. Any hotter and the stuff cooked too fast. Mix up the pancake mix. I like to spice mine up with sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon, but do whatever you like with that. Slice the bread slices into one inch wide strips (for easy handling by young fingers). Dip them in the pancake batter, and drop into the oil. Cook until just golden brown (flipping midway through to cook both sides). Drop onto a paper towel and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Another route to take is to roll them in powdered sugar. Both are good!

Serve warm on a plate with a small bowl of syrup for dipping, and sit back and bask in the warm glow of exclamations like "yummy", "can I have more?".

Seriously, this was some finger licking good stuff!

No comments: