Monday, August 3, 2009

Negligent

Apparently I've been neglecting the blog ... shame on me! It seems like, if anything, summer is more busy that during the school year. How can that be?

Last week, the kids finished up VBS. They really enjoyed that. Thursday was a family night and a local, smaller zoo came with some animals, including and alligator (the VBS theme was "Crocodile Dock", so the alligator was supposed to be in keeping with that theme).

Friday/Saturday we went down to Crystal Lake to my sister's for a movie night. The kids were great together, and it was a fun time to hang out and relax together. We hit Costco and then I had worship practice and setup for church at the Y. The day rounded out with two episodes of 24 season 7. Yes, that's right, Gow, Laura, Cyndie, and I are starting in on the latest season. And I don't think we could have picked a more challenging time to do so. We're busy with school, work, projects at home, etc. And Laura and Gow are moving, having a baby in two weeks, and Gow is working what would appear to be more than full time. I guess we'll fit episodes in here and there!

Sunday was church, then a potluck afterward at Covenant Harbor. The lake is still pretty cool, but the kids enjoyed playing along the edge and then swimming a bit at the end. In the evening we then came back to Harbor for Emma's orientation for day camp this week. She'll be doing that from 8:30 - 4:30 daily. She's pretty pumped. She's in the same group as her two best buddies from school, Olivia and Hannah. We'll see what anecdotes she has to share when she returns tonight.

Let's see, a few tidbits ...
  • When Cyndie and I walked up to VBS on Thursday, Timmy was in his 4K group playing a game on the sidewalk in front of the church. He was significantly taller than all his classmates. Plus he's just a thick, strong kid. He's the only kid I ever remember picking up and feeling bunched muscles in his arms and shoulders. I guess part of that, especially the height thing has to do with him being about the oldest kid in his class group (Sept 1 is the cutoff date for birthdays for Kindergarten here, so he misses out by 11 days).
  • Tims been getting a kick out of reading some simple words together when I read him a book. I've been showing him how to sound out the letters and make a word.
  • Emma LOVES being with and playing with her cousin Sally (15 months). She's learning (slowly but surely) that she can't just pick up Sally and carry her around everywhere. We think she'll love having a littler baby to hold who won't want to get up and walk around all the time.

No comments: