Friday, September 19, 2008

Soccer ... the aftermath

Emma had been excited for soccer since Tuesday when we found out that she could play. She loves wearing her shin guards and soccer socks. On Wednesday night we had a family soccer game in the yard because she was so excited.

Then we got to soccer practice.

Not so excited.

As you may or may not know, Emma is very averse to new things ... beyond shyness. Her first day of school at pre-school, in CA, and in WI we had to basically drag her into the classroom. So it shook out like this. We get out of the car and are kind of jogging across the field to where the team is. She's kicking her ball and running along all happy. Until we get to where we can actually see the first few players. Then she kind of slows down a bit. When we get close enough to make out other people, she totally stops. After a couple of minutes (and probably largely because there were only a couple of other teammates there), she gets into it and starts to do the drills with everyone else. When Coach Ryan (Pastor Ryan from our church) has the team sit in a circle and introduces Emma, she freezes up again and refuses to answer him when he asks what her favorite color is. She's fine again for the two on two little practice game that they play. But then the big freeze. For the last half hour the team plays a mini four on four game. Emma simply refused to participate. Nothing helped to get her out there. She softened up a bit at the end, but no dice. I think it's really my fault since I'm kind of the same, though I don't remember if I was like that as a kid. Emma's just manifesting outwardly what I feel inwardly in new situations. Oh well. I think that next time will be better as she becomes accustomed to the team and the setting. Plus next time her friend Anja will be there (she missed this session).

1 comment:

Jane D. said...

Oh...so hard to get beyond that...but love that precious girl and praying she'll adjust quickly!