Well now, that was a whirlwind weekend! I feel like I didn't sit down for more than 1 hour all weekend. The big activity was having a pastoral candidate here to interview/speak to be the next pastor at our church. Since I'm the chair of the search team looking for the next pastor, it meant a lot of activities for me.
We had the pastor (Bruce and Alissa) over for a quick dinner on Thursday night (they flew in Thursday afternoon). Then I had worship team practice after that. Friday was just a crazy day. It started in the morning with our contractor coming to tear out the old deck (his bid was to do it that way as he felt it would be better to get rid of the old deck and pour new footings for the new, heavier deck (with a roof). I'm glad he did as the old footings where shallow, and the deck support posts were neither sunk in the concrete or tied into the concrete ... only sitting on top. Apparently that's not too uncommon around here (no earthquakes and all), but still, I'm glad we went this route). So he did his thing. We also received delivery of our new fridge and freezer ... fun stuff. Cyndie is especially really excited to have the separate, side by side units again. We also had the church staff over to have lunch with Bruce and Alissa, during which time I received via FedEx my new toys ... a projector and screen to create a Viking Cinema, part II in the basement. After that, I went with Bruce and Alissa to visit some houses in and around Lake Geneva. They're looking to buy for the first time, so they wanted some advice which I'm happy to give. Then it was dinner with Bruce and Alissa and the rest of the search team at a friends house, then home to play with my new toys after the kids hit the sack. And that's just Friday! Whew, let me catch my breath.
Saturday the kids and I went up to Stone Fire Pizza, a kind of Chuck-E-Cheese, for a birthday part of Timmy's (his words) "best buddy". Owen is a boy from his class who lives close by and rides the bus with Tim. The pizza party and games were fun, but the place was LOUD. I think the kids liked the bumper cars the best. During that time, Cyndie had a lunch with the leadership team (kind of run the church) and Bruce and Alissa. Saturday night was a potluck for the whole church and Bruce and Alissa, followed by a question and answer session. Bruce (and Alissa) is a really personable and engaging guy, so he made lots of friends quickly. By the time Cyndie and I got the kids to bed, we were pooped, and followed them almost immediately.
Sunday was a bit more relaxing ... until 10am at which time we had the final Coffee Shop (our church small group) at our place. There were about 15 - 20 people here for that. It was fun though, to just hang out and relax a bit. Then it was worship team run through and an extended coffee time prior to church, which Cyndie coordinated. Bruce spoke during the evening service. It was a really great message on the prodigal son. Then afterward we had a congregational meeting to vote to call Bruce to be the next pastor at which he was unanimously approved. Good times. The good news is that as of last night, Cyndie and I watched 30 minutes of the Matrix on our 135 inch screen in the Viking Cinema, part II.
So, we're swinging into the week and I feel like I need a rest from my weekend off. It's been cold-ish (50s/low 60s) the last several weeks, so we're hoping the weather will turn our way and we'll be able to get out on the boat more.
On the kid front, Timmy has a new obsession: paper airplanes. He's been making them for the last 5 days or so and they're all over the house. I think he got the idea (and directions) from a Berenstain Bears book. Anyway, he's getting pretty good at making them!
So there you have it. My rambling on more than you could possibly want to know about the weekend of the Wildwood DeVries!
No comments:
Post a Comment