Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New in Town

Last Friday we watched New in Town during the Movie Night extravaganza at the Casparis, and I've already had wild fans clamoring for the review here at The Life and Times of the Wildwood DeVries. So here, to prevent rioting in the streets, is the write up.



New in Town (3.2/5)
I was pretty disappointed in this flick. I think part of the problem was not the movie, but my expectations. I was not expecting a classic, but thought it looked like a good romantic comedy, which I typically enjoy. It turned out to be an average romantic comedy, thereby not meeting my expectations.

The movie was a bit cliched: fish out of water woman meets beer guzzling, oafish man, initially they conflict, but during a poignant moment, they overcome their differences and form a bond. Said couple then conquers all the problems of the world. Granted, it's a pretty successful formula, but that's about it. On the upside, I really enjoyed some of the "Minnesota" moments, and particularly loved how the producers/director "kept it real" and showed what a northern winter is really like. On the downside, Renee Zellwiger looked horrible ... she didn't even look like herself at times. I don't think she'll have too many leading roles after this flick.

So the summary? Decent movie, fairly enjoyable, but probably not too different than any other romantic comedy you've seen over the last 10 years.

Movies I've seen recently:
Juno - 4.8/5
Slumdog Millionaire - 4.6/5
Iron Man - 4.2/5
Wall-E - 4.0/5
Traitor - 4.0/5
The Dark Knight - 3.9/5
Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist - 3.7/5
Kung Fu Panda - 3.5/5
The Passion - 3.5/5
Valkyrie - 3.5/5
The Incredible Hulk - 3.4/5
New in Town - 3.2/5
Horton Hears a Who - 3.0/5
Jonah, a VeggieTales Movie - 2.4/5
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 1.9/5
Burn After Reading - 1.5/5

No comments: