Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Another Deep Thought ...

Two deep thoughts in one day, I think my head is going to explode!

So before Christmas, I was contemplating the fact that even though I'm working out consistently, at least three times, usually four, per week, I'm still gaining some extra pudginess around the middle. So I mentioned to Cyndie that we need to make a few changes when we got back from Christmas vacation.

We're back ... I guess I need to do something.

I think the problem is that I eat too much. For the most part, we eat pretty healthy food. Not much in the processed food category. We don't eat out (especially fast food) much. We eat a decent amount of vegies and fruits. But man, when the food is good at dinner, it is easy to take a second helping (and sometimes a third)! I also have been having "after the kids go to bed snacks" quite a bit too. Now, I'm not a workout nut, or someone with a crazy body image, but I do want to be healthy.

I think I need to take some steps in the food department to start some better habits. So here's the plan. I'm going to eat healthier, and in much smaller portions (I've heard that taking smaller bites and chewing longer helps this ... also using a smaller plate). I'm going to cut out eating anything after 8 pm. I'm going to continue the 4 times a week work outs. We'll call this Neal's Healthy Living Challenge.

Now I need a goal. I don't really care about my weight, and we don't even have a scale in the house. But how to measure success? And really, this should just be the start of the process, not a destination. Hummm. Are there any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

And more importantly, does anyone out there in the ether want to join me in this effort?

No comments: