Thursday, January 21, 2010

Neal's Healthy Living Challenge - Update

Well, it's what, the second week of the challenge? I figure an update is due.

Eat Healthier
  • Eat smaller portions (smaller bites, chewing longer, using a smaller plate) - I can't believe what a difference this makes. I feel like I'm eating A LOT less, but not feeling any hungrier. Wow, if I can keep only this part up, I think I'll be much healthier. It's not always easy to remember to do this, but I'd say I'm doing so around 90% of the time. It's strange to be the last person eating at the dinner table most evenings, especially considering Timmy usually takes forever!
  • Two snacks a day to help manage hunger (morning and afternoon). The snacks must be either fruit or vegetable ... no carbs (a notorious DeVries week spot) - Doing well on this too. I'm really focusing on doing this during the week. I'm less strict on the weekends. So far the three big staples have been broccoli, carrots, and apples.
  • Drink lots of water - Check.
  • No snacks after the kids go to bed - Check.
  • Decaf coffee in the morning (probably unrelated to weight at all, but I have been taking blood pressure medicine, so I don't think I need the caffeine. - Check. Bought six pounds of decaf coffee at Costco last weekend ... should hold me for a while. I feel a difference here too. This was a good thing to add to the list.
Live Healthier
  • Go to bed at a decent time (hard to measure this one, but it's important) - Eh, not doing so hot on this one, but as you'll see below, I think some of the other changes have overcome this.
  • Work out four times a week. - Doing pretty well. I think I got in three workouts last week and am on course for four this week.
Overall
I feel like this week I'm noticing an increased energy level. Probably a combination of the pretty healthy eating, and the consistent workouts. It's certainly enough to encourage me that I'm on the right track!

I'd say that I largely passed the test on the "It's an extended family get together weekend and there's going to be lot's of food around" front as well. While I didn't fully stick to the above plan, I did eat less than I probably would have previously, and I didn't totally gorge on all the bad for you foods. I think that's part of the process. I don't want to cut out all the foods I like, but rather be healthier, which means portion control and moderation.

Grade - A-, I think that for my first week plus, I did pretty darn well! Yeah me!

No comments: