Monday, November 30, 2009

Up and (fortunately) Away

Watched this one on Thanksgiving night in the Caspari theater ...

Up (3.7/5)

I know I'm going to catch flak from some of my family because I'm giving this the same rating as Nick and Nora's Ultimate Playlist, but that's life! Overall, I was very disappointed in the movie. A large part of that is because it was a Pixar flick, and as a result, I expected greatness. In that regard, I'd have to (sadly) say that this was the worst Pixar movie that they have made. However, following on that theme, it was also a decent movie. It was no Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!.

Don't read this next paragraph if you don't want to be exposed to a few spoilers ...

I thought the movie started extremely strongly. It started by hinting of some very mature themes (death of a child, death of a spouse, old age). However, from there it dipped to a grumpy main character, a supporting cast of an annoying child, a talking labrador, and a bird that completely lost me. The whole middle of the movie was the boy and the old man dragging this floating house around by a garden hose while trying to help this bizare bird. On top of that, the villian was no good, and his henchment were totally cliche.

I think I'm being a bit harsher than the movie actually deserves. And as the rating I gave it shows, it's not actually a poor film. However, it was certainly a come down from the standard that Pixar has established.

The overall summary: A average to good cartoon, poor by Pixar standards, but good for anyone else.

Movies I've seen recently:
Juno - 4.8/5
Slumdog Millionaire - 4.6/5
Iron Man - 4.2/5
Lars and the Real Girl - 4.1/5
Wall-E - 4.0/5
Traitor - 4.0/5
The Dark Knight - 3.9/5
Star Trek - 3.9/5
TransSiberian - 3.9/5
Wolverine - 3.8/5
Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist - 3.7/5
Definitely, Maybe - 3.7/5
Up - 3.7/5
Kung Fu Panda - 3.5/5
The Passion - 3.5/5
Valkyrie - 3.5/5
The Incredible Hulk - 3.4/5
New in Town - 3.2/5
Horton Hears a Who - 3.0/5
Inglorious Bastards - 2.9/5
Push - 2.8/5
Meet Bill - 2.1/5
Jonah, a VeggieTales Movie - 2.4/5
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 1.9/5
Burn After Reading - 1.5/5

No comments: